What if you are not happy about how we have handled your complaint?

If you are unhappy with the way we have treated you or your complaint, please let us know.  We will review your comments and respond to you. If you remain unhappy with our service after we have reviewed your complaint, you will be able to contact the Independent Assessor, who is available to receive comments and concerns on the standard of service, but not the basis of decisions. For information on how to make a complaint about our service, please click here.